Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Time to Quit

A Time to Quit (PMx)


I almost slid off the road
three times, just on the way
to work.
It was raining in the middle
of winter and the earth had
had become a sheet of solid ice.
I arrived at work to find a
quarter of the people had already
called in sick,
I had lost my chance by my
initial appearance.
There was a lot of mail and an
equally large amount of flyers to
be delivered.
Sometime in bad weather we
were allowed to leave some
behind.
Today the bitch said no,
everything had to go.

The wind was blowing the rain
and I was soaked within
minutes.
Ice had formed on my face
and my rainwear was drenched,
making it useless,
I had my cleats on but I
still slipped on the icy parts,
doing a little dance and hoping
not to fall on the hard ice.
The mail on my bag became saturated,
and the flyers fell apart as they
made the trip from my hand
to the mailbox.
They were rendered unreadable
but I had little choice
and continued on my
foolhardy adventure.

I have never been so cold and
so wet,
my boots had filled with water
and my feet had become numb.
Each step became slower and the
pain increased in my legs as my
skin froze and rubbed against
my frozen icy pants.
The mail was destroyed,
I was pouring cocktails of Hydro Bills
and Mastercard statements
into mailboxes with a garnish
of Pizza Hut flyers disintegrating
as they fell.

The streets were empty as I
continued my lonely travail,
after I had fallen the
third time I stopped
counting.
The ice was stinging my
cheeks yet I could feel warm
tears dropping down,
melting the ice and as I
stifled the urge to cru I
realized I was already crying.

The last hour passed in a daze
and as I trudged back to my
car,
I sat in the front seat so wet
and miserable, I couldn't feel my feet.
My cigarettes had become doused
and I had nothing to smoke, it
seemed the heater in the car did
not start working until I pulled
into my driveway.

I came so close to quittng
that day.

MCC













No comments:

Post a Comment