Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Left in the Trunk

Left in the Trunk (PMxxvi)


I placed the four parcels
in my trunk before starting my
route,
meaning to drop them off on
my way home.
They were close by and I kneew
I couldn't forget.
I completed my work that day
about a half hour earlier
than usua,
I was so happy that my mind
forgot to remind me to
deliver the stupid parcels.
It was about four in the afternoon,
I was hoe, lying on the couch
playing a Volkswagen video game
when I remembered.
I considered just leaving them
for the next day but they had
been cracking down on
registered mail so I knew I had to
go back.
It was rush hour and it took me
forty minutes to drive them back,
when I arrived a lady came
running out of the house.
She thanked me profusely for
bringing her the parcels
which apparently contained
passports and they were flying
out that night.
"We've been on the phone with the
Post Office all day," she cried.
"I'm so glad you made it here on time."

I accepted the hero laurels
deep down knowing I was going
to catch shit the next day.
I considered phoning in sick
the next morning but I finally
decided to face the music and
get it over with.

The office was in turmoil the next
day,
someone told me they had suspended
a temp,
for not delivering some registered mail,
I hid the sign-in sheet in the
pile and silently proceeded to my desk,
as if it was just another
ordinary day.
For some reason, call it luck,
I never heard another word
about the episode,
I chose never to bring it up!

MCC


No comments:

Post a Comment