Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Night Shift

NIGHT SHIFT

The stars were staring at me
tonight while I was outside.
They had poked through the
clouds and the haze that had
surrounded the city for a few
days now.
A cool breeze had just blown in
and made it tolerable,
to get outside, out of the air
conditioning,
cooled down actually and
thoroughly as I watched and
wondered what they were
thinking and what we looked
like from such a distance,
I can only imagine.

Maybe there was someone sitting
on one of those points of light
directing a giant magnifying glass
ready to try and burn us
all up like ants.
That would explain all the heat
waves this summer
with the debilitating humidity
that sucked the very air
out of my lungs and left me
gasping on the couch like
a fish out of water,
helpless and dying, depending
on someone unknown to
save them,
even it was an equal unknown
that was trying to kill them.

If there is someone up there trying
to kill us the big question is;
Why are we not worth saving?
Would it be so easy to dispose
of us all in on e massive gesture,
like in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy",
or would it be more adventurous
to come here and put us out of
our misery one by one,
with blows to the head,
right out of Poe's
"Narrative Of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket"?
Fuck, that story really scared
the hell out of me for some reason,
I'll never get that picture out of
my head.

MCC

No comments:

Post a Comment