Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Out of Gas

Out of Gas (PMxxv)


The minutes ticked by on my
dash clock,
slowly counting to six o'clock,
I was parked across from
the office at the paper
distributors.
For some reason I couldn't
face up to going to work.,,

The weather was not bad
according to letter carrier
standards but it was
wednesday,
and even though I had gone
past my point of no return
when I got out of bed, I
had convinced myself on the
ride in that I wouldn't be
productive that day.

I watched as people slowly
began to show up for
work,
lazily getting out of their
cars and trudging that few
feet to the front door.
Pain was etched on their faces
it had been a heavy week so
far and there was no reason
showing itself to make anyone
think it would be any lighter
today.
Nobody looked in my direction,
or so I thought,
I had the window cracked a
little just to let the smoke
escape, but people's minds
were elsewhere,
so I fit right into the
early morning scenery.

When the digital finally read
six o'clock,
I picked up my cell phone and
speed-dialled the office.
Peter answered the phone, probably
still had his jacket on as he had
just entered.
I told him I had a migraine
and that I wouldn't be in today,
he chuckled and said okay,
get better and we'll see you tomorrow,
I murmured something about going
to bed and he signed off
saying,
"have a safe drive home"
Sneaky little bastard, I thought.
I mused about what I would
do the rest of the day
while sitting in McDonald's,
doing the crossword
and devouring a McGriddle.

MCC



No comments:

Post a Comment