Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 25, 2010

Nobody's Listening

Nobody's Listening (PMxx)


I feel the sting of indifference
enter my body and fill my
soul with bitter venom
infecting my bloodstream and
rendering me a seething mass
of hatred and sadness.

I pull my socks all the way up
almost to my balls
and hope to plod on with that
very Anglo piece of advice.
The socks fall so fast and
my garters are useless to grab
them and perhaps give me
a fighting chance.

I make the phone calls I am
supposed to make,
and keep the appointments
with the people I am
supposed to see.
They look through me, hoping
I will go away
and disappear from their list
of people they are supposed
to fix.

I walk out of these meetings
knowing my problems have
not been solved,
and at best I have only
delayed the inevitable and
perhaps even extended my
period of suffering.
They think they've fooled me
into a sense of security
and sanity, a strong mix
of depravity and stupidity.
I have not been fooled.

I found myself thinking the
other day,
of just jumping on a plane
and hoping to land somewhere
less hostile,
more welcoming.
Strangely I find myself in
Nigeria of all places,
noted in my brain is a picture
postcard I was sent by
an Israeli friend,
of a woman potmaker,
showing off her pot in the
streets of Lagos.
When I got out of
the airport I would find
this woman,
and ask her to teach me her
artisan trade.
I would hide my non-blackness
with a couple of weeks
in the sun,
and then I could blend in,
and make pots,
and everything would work out
okay.

MCC



No comments:

Post a Comment