Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Scarborough Rapid Transit

Scarborough Rapid Transit (PM XLI)



The elevated train or RT as
it is called down here is
my true eight hour companion
here.
People come and go and
work changes every minute, but
every five minutes or so I can
look up and see the four cars
pass in the distance.
I am too far away to see
a face,
even if I put my glasses on,
but I can see shadows and
I know it has many
people or not.
The trains going east are heading
towards the Town Centre,
shopping malls, government
buildings, passport office,
the GO station is there for
people to continue on an
eastbound direction,
Ajax, Pickering, Whitby, Ottawa.
I like to think the mood on
the eastbound train is lighter
and happier than the west,
people going shopping or on
an adventure, both productive
ways of filling out a day.

The train heading west is something
different, almost
sinister,
and reminds me of the train
Montag rode home in Fahrenheit 451,
the line ends at the subway
station hub,
downtown,
mostly heading to work.
I can imagine the faces of the
people destined for a day of drudgery
cooped up in some small office,
much like myself.

Therefore the train west
always seems to be headed
into a storm cloud while
I keep my optimism
entrenched with the eastbound
hoping the people on that train
have much better luck.

I only ride the train east,
ironically on my way to work,
for the route home I prefer
the shorter walk to the bus,
even though it is slower, smellier
and more uncomfortable than the
train.
Torture seems less intense when it
occurs at the end of the day
instead of ruining the beginning.

MCC

No comments:

Post a Comment