Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Progress Avenue

Progress Avenue (PM xxxiv)


From my vantage point at my
desk I can look straight out
and see the road. From left to right
in both directions.
I'm guessing I have a
view of maybe one quarter
of a kilometer.
Most people walking by come in
to my line of vision for about
a minute,
but if I make a point of it,
it might take a normal person
to pass out of
my view.
Some stop to wait at the bus
stop right in front of me while
others pass in and out of the
knitting factory across the
road.

One day an old Chinese man
with a small cart came into
my view,
shuffling along very slowly.
He would stop for a second,
maybe pick something up like a
discarded bottle or a piece
of garbage, he would examine
each piece minutely but he
himself would discard
nothing. Everything he picked
up went into his cart.
I can see the elevated train
passing in the distance going
between Kennedy Station and the
Town Center.
Twelve trains passed while this
one man was in my view.
It took him an hour and a half
to pass in and out of my life,
and I could only watch in awe
as this old man spent an hour
and a half being more productive
than myself,
getting paid by bottle deposits
and suffering in the heat,
while I sat behind my fan
at my big desk complaining
of being bored and unloved
and getting paid for it,
Which one of us in the eyes of
God was coming closer to
realizing His grand scheme of things,
I can't help but worry that it
isn't me!

MCC



No comments:

Post a Comment