Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Staring Blankly

Staring Blankly (PM xxxiii)



I'm trying very hard to concentrate
but I keep drawing a blank,
I can feel I have a fever,
a hundred and two maybe,
I don't have a thermometer.
I can't take another tylenol
because I'll puke,
they are getting expensive and
I've even puked in the sink
and pulled the bigger chunks'
out and tried to get them
back in my stomach,
anything to get rid of that
elusive pain that hides
somewhere between my
heart and my brain.
It never leaves me, though
I am fairly lucky that I
can usually dull it,
with medication,
lying on the couch staring
blindly at a stupid television
for hours on end is
usually my best antidote.
It doesn't matter what's on
as long as I'm being bombarded.
Controlling the levels of bombardment
are easy,
depending on the channel and
volume controls,
an out of reach remote is always
a taste of what hell would be
like,
a never-ending regis and kelly
daring you to put a gun to your
own head and end it all.

Rays of hope can sometimes shine
through on a news channel,
snippets of Pinawa,
Argentina and even Saint John
have the effect of uncovering
my bleeding soul. I can still
remember there were some good times,
good people,
and maybe that some of it
was worthwhile and I wasn't
quite smart enough to
completely fuck it up!

The sun just came out,
piercing its way through
cloud and around concrete
and steel to shed some of
its light on my lonely
existence.
It becomes brighter and I can
see through to the other end of
the dock without my glasses
on as I do always manage to
reaffirm that maybe my
existence is doing some good.

MCC

No comments:

Post a Comment