Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cold Turkey Failure
























For the time being the pharmaceutical companies (Ely Lilly) have won the battle to keep me on anti-depressants, which costs my drug plan about $500 a month. The withdrawal symptoms became too intense, nausea, dizziness, loss of speech and motor control, intense, vivid and destructive nightmares, heart palpitations and sweating. Unfortunately I tasted the sweetness of lucidness that came and I never felt so alive as my brain cleared as I was once again a living breathing human if only for a short time. Support has been great although I have felt that I am somewhat of a burden at times, when I am on the effexor I am not the same person, these drugs are not to cure, they are to control and during this seduction of feeling nothing you realize that you have traded in elation for ennui.
Why Ummagumma? I spent many an hour listening to this album with my brother Peter, enhancing the experience with Henley Dip, quietly searching for the meaning of God and Hemingway. Listening to this album again has inspired me to get better and to do what needs to be done in order to move forward. I doubt it is recognized by any psychiatric association as a companion on the road to recovery but I consider it a must-listen for anyone who needs to get their life back on track.



No comments:

Post a Comment