Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 14, 2013

VOICES

Voices
PM1303142


The rope continues to pull tighter
around my neck as absence 
wears off and reality once more
comes crashing down like a ton
of bricks.
How could things get so boring again,
so quickly,
forgetting the daily drudgery and
ennui, the fools,
oh so many fools and the day's
endless landscape pushing on towards
the evening as I await the gun to
go off and I sprint off the blocks,
out the door and back into civilization.
I have broken my scythe, my hoe
and my spade,
laid them all down by the side of the
road, waiting before dousing them
all with gasoline and springing back
in alarm at the instant wall of flame.
Picking up the charred instruments
I realize the futility and wonder how
long it take me to get new ones.
The rumor mill never ceased during
my hiatus and I wonder how I have
kept my job if even half the things I
have supposedly done had proven to be true.

The cool spring breeze whips around
the flag outside and I am forbidden
to join it up on the pole,
to overlook the four city blocks
and to watch over all who pass
beneath me.

I can't sing to the heavens as they
have been closed over by clouds opening
up to the brightest sunlight or the
billion dollar downpour that would
threaten to drown me if I dared to
open my mouth.

I feel sick to my stomach right now
and I wonder if it churns for the
present or is still upset about what I
fed it last night?

Hours pass as I sit here and lament.
The void is never filled and the flood of
tears passes quietly into the drain and
never amasses enough to drain my misery.
From a distance I can hear someone
yelling and I wish they would just shut
the fuck up or at the very least,
lower their voice.
Who am I to tell someone else to shut up?
Why, I'm the poor idiot, sitting here
at my desk, and I'm the one who has to
listen to it.
One accurately thrown rock would be enough
to solve the problem, sadly, there is never
a rock around when you need it.


MCC



No comments:

Post a Comment