Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 17, 2013

LAMPED

LAMPED
PM1302173



The soft whispers of days
gone by haunt me as I sleep
at night and I wonder how
they will ever be able to return
to me as I remember them.
I yearn to feel the existence
of something besides pain and
I don't cover the pain anymore,
it has become so resistant and it
mocks me as I aim to do battle 
with it.

The fronds of palm trees are waved
at me in my dreams yet I do not
feel their cool breeze, it is all
left to my imagination.
No quantity of peeled grapes, figs
or dates can quench my thirst
and the wine bypasses my throat
leaving me dry and parched.
I can no longer talk as
sometimes I fear I will crack
open and fill my esophagus with
blood and drown as I sleep.

The wind owls outside,
so harsh, loud and destructive,
frost accumulates in the cracks of
the walls and will turn to mold
come spring. I am not ready to
meet my maker yet he is
tapping on the window with his 
scythe, or perhaps it is just a
branch from the osier, blowing
in the wind and teasing me that
maybe there is no God.

Once again I fear even the little
children that are dancing in the
streets, maybe it is a war dance or
some other sort of death ritual that
I can't comprehend and I can't understand
if they are coming to me or not but
I must stay vigilant.

Each I see the headlights of
a car bounce across the wall of my
room I know they have come for
me, it can't just be another car passing
in the night, there aren't that many
people working midnights and I
would be so easy to find,
lying in bed watching Peachtree Television
they could see the reflection of the tv screen
in the mirror all the way from the street
below. One solitary bullet would be enough,
right in the centre of the forehead, one last
whimper before the trigger is pulled and
then I am quiet forever.

Where I am sitting now is so calm
and serene, but my mind always flies
away to some far off war zone.


MCC

No comments:

Post a Comment