Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 17, 2013

DUCK SEASON

DUCK SEASON
PM 1302174




Sometimes it hurts to think,
I persevere as long as possible
and then I turn on the television.
Then my mind all but explodes, 
I see ducks walk out from
behind the credenza and the first
thing I have to wonder about is
what they were doing back there, 
were they foraging for food and
if so, what did they find?
Is there some sort of worm-hole
behind there leading to another dimension
that I don't know about, a dimension
inhabited by ducks and their clans
who have the foresight or the stupidity
to venture into the unknown?

Looking behind myself, I see nothing,
a smudge or two from where the
furniture was moved into place almost
five years ago and that's it.
No mysterious whirlpool or strange
light beckoning one to stick a finger in
there at the very least.

I try often but the ducks have
nothing to say to me, a slight
glance in my direction perhaps
and then single file they waddle
out the door, single minded in purpose
they hop onto the deck railing and
then fly due south, no matter 
what the season. I consider closing
the door so I can question them further
but I become too frightened,
what if they become hostile,
what if they have some sort of alien
weapon hidden in the eider?
I figure, leave them alone and they will
leave me alone. Strange, but they never
come back, is there another portal somewhere
that they use to get back to their
dimension, or is this how the world has
been populated with ducks? Do they know
that we eat them? Maybe the entrance
portal was in Beijing at one time but
they moved it when things became
too crispy for them?

Approximately twenty-five different
ducks pass through my living room
each year and I know nothing about
them, I could be responsible for the
start of some kind of intergalactic or 
inter-dimensional war, how can I be
sure? Unfortunately what can I do
about it? I don't like duck that much
and I could certainly never kill one 
and eat it for dinner.

I will have to wait for the sign and console myself
with the belief that if it looks like a duck.....


MCC

No comments:

Post a Comment