Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pseudo-Dawn

PM 1211241

PSEUDO-DAWN

I awaken, lying flat on my back
and I notice butterflies swirling
above my head, just out of reach
I try and scatter them with my
hand, they move a little higher and
then they completely disappear
leaving me alone in the universe.
Closing my eyes I will them to come
back to me but when I open them
again all I can see is empty space,
air devoid of butterflies is not a
happy thought or sight,
and I cannot will a smile from my
lips looking into such an awful,
empty space.

Reality sinks in like a right hook
to the jaw moments later when I
realize I must rise and feebly
attempt to accept the fact that yet
another day has dawned.
I crawl out of my sleeping position
and force myself to take that
first step that separates inertia
from rock, one foot in front of the
other while ankles creak and knees
complain as if they are ready
to leave me and move on to more
comfortable pastures.
My back and spine take minutes
to align themselves before I am
finally able to walk upright
and as I shuffle to the kitchen I
realize the headache that was
bothering me so much the whole night
previous has ebbed into a dull
thump that is much easier to live with.

All hail to the acetaminophen Gods
that have sustained me for so long and
have managed to cover up the spike-covered
cobwebs that inhabit my skull.
It won't last forever so I revel in
the beauty of being pain-free even if
it only lasts for an hour or two.
The kitchen brings some relief if
only to brighten the day, more
windows and on the right side
of the house for those prone to
early rising.
The curtains remain open for the 
entire day as even moonlight
and starlight deserve to be embraced,
the glow of thousands of streetlamps
can also be warming to the heart
and I allow them to shine in as
long as they care to keep burning.

I fear complete darkness as a fox
fears the hunter, always stay in
front, leave a little space just in case you trip on a shoelace.

MCC

No comments:

Post a Comment