Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 3, 2012

LAST FEW MILES

LAST FEW MILES
PM# 1206034



The express bus,
Pearson to Kipling Station,
and then the long trek on
the subway, across the entire city
and then a short walk home.
A nine thousand kilometre trip,
the most tiring part at the end.
The bus had almost reached the
station when it happened,
someone wasn't paying attention
and pulled out in front of us.
Slam! The brakes went on, small
screams of surprise, then one
guy flew across the floor, landing
on his head.

I saw the car briefly, and then it
took off, the Air Canada Jazz stewardess
looked helpless without her beverage cart
but she knew enough to tell the man
not to move,
he wasn't going anywhere.

Shock wore off quickly, then everyone
started to file off and walk in the direction
of the station.
I stayed behind, not so much for heroics,
but I had two suitcases,
heavy as hell that I didn't
feel like dragging up the hill.

I put my sweater under the poor 
guy's head and tried to calm
him but what the hell are you
supposed to say.
He was having trouble moving his
neck so I expected the worst.
We waited twenty minutes for the 
ambulance to arrive, it
seemed like hours.

We managed to get the guy on a
backboard, he was pretty groggy
and they loaded him into the 
van.

The cop seemed a little too routine
for my liking, he didn't seem to take
the situation seriously.
Indifference, I suppose.
The supervisor showed up and I told
him what I knew, what I saw,
and what I believed happened.
Hopefully someone got the license
number down.

They hailed another bus and they
put me on it with my luggage
and I concluded the last leg of
my journey on the train home.
I guess that proves the theory
that air travel is safer than car, and
that most accidents happen
close to home.


Michael Crane

No comments:

Post a Comment