Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 20, 2013

TRINKET?

Trinket?
PM 1301202


The exhaust fumes have turned
into a huge cloud outside my
window and I fear to open the door
or to tread outside for fear I will
swallow the poison and lie dead
on the ground, under the grating of 
the steps I tried to make my escape
from. The drivers are all laughing
through their gas-masks as they long
knew the danger but refused to divulge
it to us just in case there was a 
shortage.

I have no gas-mask, I left it in
the bunker of the apartment building
I was living in, in Eilat.
I hoped I would never have any use
for it, and besides, Israeli customs
always confiscated them, along with
the sleeping bags we had stolen from the
clotheslines of the army hostels.

I attended one drill and I nearly
threw up inside my mask, I watched
as frightened children had them strapped
on their faces by angry parents,
I never believed eyes could get so wide
and so large.
As soon as you slip the mask
on your breathing becomes audible
and it increases,
you can't help it or control it,
fear washes through your veins like
a wild blast of heroin, making you
throw up at first and then you
begin to enjoy it at last.
Red washed over my eyes and I was
forced to tear the mask off, I couldn't
take it anymore, the team leader
yelled at me and told me I was dead,
I told him to fuck off and tried to
get out of the shelter but they had
barred the doors.

I calmly sat on the concrete bench and
waited for the alarm to be lifted so I
could get the hell out of there.
The children sat there and stared at
me, asking their mothers, I assumed,
why I didn't have to wear a mask.
I also assumed that they told them
because I was a coward,
that it was my first drill,
that I was a foreigner,
who knows, but I was the butt
of all the childrens' jokes for the
rest of the day, I'm sure.

We never had a gas attack in
Israel, too close to the beach
and tourist dollars I was told,
not a good idea to kill foreigners,
I was told,
UNIFIL was also there on vacation.


MCC


No comments:

Post a Comment