Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 20, 2013

CONCRETE

Concrete
PM 1301203


I have lost sight of myself
until I realize that I have not
even moved from the scene of
my last destruction.
I move away from the action
but magnetized, I am always
drawn back until I am sitting
back on the wall, waiting to fall
off. I look for patches of
grass or soft dirt that will
hopefully pad my fall.
But I am always perched above
concrete, and I fear cracking
my head open on the cement.
I come back into my own view
when it is just too late to
stop myself from coming into contact
with the ground,
and I am helpless,
even to pick up the pieces,
there are too many and there is
not enough time to do a proper job.
Therefore I must leave myself lying
there and set up on starting all over
again which becomes more and more
difficult as the years go by.

As I move away I can't help
but look back to see if the buzzards
have begun to feed yet and I am
always shocked anew to see one
of them plucking out one of my
eyeballs and swallowing it whole.
Why couldn't I have worn sunglasses,
is always what pops into my mind
first, never why did I screw it all
up in the first place.
The heartbeats become so
strange and intermittent,
that I'm not even sure if it is my
own heart I hear beating anymore.
Only when I feel the pressure and
the pain do I realize that it is
emanating from my chest and I am
the one who is in trouble.

The traffic in the background is drowned
out by the chirping of crickets,
I smell Kung Pow,
Chinatown beckons me and I
am unable to sell any of my organs
as they are still splattered all over the
sidewalk.
The crickets chirp as I make my way
through the dark alleyways until
I reach my goal, I reach the bottom
to rest, only from there can I begin
the journey back up to the summit,
a place I have never managed to reach and I
always fear one of these times I won't
have that energy to start over.


MCC

No comments:

Post a Comment