Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 19, 2013

AQABA

AQABA
PM 1301191

Scattered leaves crunch beneath
my feet as I make my way
through the school parking lot. Almost
home, mere meters to go but I
slow down now, trying to capture
the essence of being outdoors
before I am lulled to sleep by the
artificial air from an oil-burning
furnace.

People of all ages scurry by me
as I try to make as much noise
as possible with the fallen leaves.
I allow myself to be taken back
to a lonely riverside, waiting to
go to work, throwing small rocks
at ducks that mockingly swim away
if one even comes remotely close to 
them.

The stones create ripples in the
water making the ducks bob over
so slightly with each wake.
I look down the path,
towards the street and my
self-imposed prison that has forced
my life into a different direction.
I find so many people to blame
but it comes back solidly
right in the middle of my forehead
that I have created my own hell.

The leaves continue to crackle
under my feet, puddles of
water already starting to freeze
at the edges, nightfall brings
the cold and now I yearn to
arrive at home,
hoping for the warmth, soft
blankets and pillows to pare
down my anxiety and create a
cocoon to sleep away the
rest of the darkness until a
new day decides to rear its' head.
Dreams of waking on an oil rigs,
swimming in caviar and
playing volleyball on the beach in
Eilat, tripping over Uzis left
lying buried under sleeping bags
by careless soldiers who need
the stinging salt air to remind
them that they are still human
beings no matter what they were told
to do.

Crabs sidle past us just as the sun
is about to go down, some carrying 
small pieces of discarded falafel
and orange peels. The sun sets,
the breeze changes direction and
all the lights suddenly go on in
Aqaba, then night falls quickly.


MCC



No comments:

Post a Comment