Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 3, 2012

SEA MIST

Sea Mist
PM#1206033



I stared out at the sea
mesmerized by the sheer
vastness and the uncontrollable
power.
I looked towards Africa,
or where I supposed the Cape
of Good Hope was,
but there were too many clouds
on the horizon,
not to mention the thousands and
thousands of miles of ocean that
lay between us.
Out in the distance I could see a
naval destroyer, patrolling the
ocean for some insignificant reason.
The mainland hadn't been attacked
since the early 1800's but I guess
they still had to be vigilant.
The hulk of the Crucero General 
Belgrano lay at the bottom of the
sea quite a distance to the south
a reminder that even governments
can be childish.
The ghosts of the crew are still
in the sea and their whispers
are heard as the waves lap the
shoreline.

The fishing boats are all coming
in as the storm seems to be
looming in the distance, far out
at sea,
I hope they brought in enough
to satisfy the catch of the day
menus in the seafood restaurants.
I had salmon for lunch
but I could eat fish here everyday.

The gulls cry and cry,
looking for fish and finding
lots of garbage,
I wonder if all the ghosts 
in the water are frightening to them
or if they just ignore and
carry on with their lives...

The city busses pick up and drop 
off as usual, solitary people
walk down by the sea,
looking out, contemplating the
universe,
maybe some are even considering
suicide, drowning in the swell
at high tide, its not something
you would read about in the
newspaper.
I keep looking and looking,
staring out to sea, trying to
spot something but I come up
short and disappointed,
when will the ending begin?


Michael Crane

No comments:

Post a Comment