Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 3, 2012

AUTUMN AVENUE

Autumn Avenue
PM# 1206032



I face a wide avenue, palm trees
on the boulevard stretching far
into the distance, opening the
imagination and imprinting a song
or two in the eardrums.
The austral winter sun beats down
on my forehead with just as
much strength and sweat forms
in every orifice. The chilly, but
dry wind has seared my nostrils
and tightened my chest yet I
move along, my shoes scuffling
up dust with every step. Holiday 
cabins line the avenue,
all are empty now, ready for the
weekend as tourists still flock to
enjoy the down by the river
experience, barbeques, picnics, lots
of beer and wine,
dancing into the night and waking
up with absolutely nothing to do.

I walk on, desperately thirsty, but
nothing is open, closed until friday,
I finally reach a kiosco that has
some signs of life, a skin and bones
dog lies in the doorway, flies buzzing
around it, occasionally a flick of the
tail is the only evidence the dog is
alive. I gingerly step over the
mutt and he doesn't even open his
eyes to acknowledge me.
The shop is cool and I opt for a 
giant bottle of Pepsi, a bottle from
the fridge is more expensive but this
is no time to worry about money.
I retire under a nearby tree, the
first sip of soda nearly causes
my entire head to explode but I move
on, opening my book I pass into
history, the oblivion of the Falklands
War, sitting in the territory that 
started it and wondering how they
let things slide so badly since then,
but that is for another day.

Let the sun pass over my head
and the night brings on a peace
that exists in no other part of
the world,
that I've visited anyway.
Let the clouds roll over our head
as they reach down to
sweetly caress your brow,
as if trying to extract the very
root of the pain from your soul.
Attach your strings to the
south winds that blow continuously over
the fertile Pampas and knock over the
Pepsi bottle as I sleep.



Michael Crane

No comments:

Post a Comment