Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 19, 2012

TUNNELS


TUNNELS PM2747

The walls that surround me are closing
in quickly and they are making me
nervous. Will they fall on top of me
and slowly crush me, grinding downward
pressure that pushes the air out of my lungs
until I can't take in any more and they
explode in my chest? Perhaps, but I
would prefer to be crushed instantly
and not feel a thing. The rage would escape
my body but it would not escape the
prison the wall has made of us both.
By the time the wrecking crew arrives
to save us we will both be long gone or
be one with the cinderblocks.
DNA splicing and analyzing, maybe they
saved one of the shards of my teeth that they
pulled out for such an occasion 
and it can now have its' day in the sun.
A long tunnel, hollowed out by a mountain
but they dug too deeply and uncovered something
that should never have been disturbed.
Driving through West Virginia I feared orcs and
goblins in those tunnels, if the entrances had
been sealed they would have come out of the
air shafts and eaten us all as we sat there in our
cars listening to cds, radios would always cut
out inside the tunnels. I took
Lord of the Rings far too seriously and
let all those monsters into my brain
where they grew and became real right
before my eyes. Cordoba will always be my Shire,
 Laketown and MistyMountains,
Pinawa my Rivendell and Northern Greece could
only be Mordor. In between these place
evil lurks behind every door and every crack
in the floor, only with the dawn do I feel
as though I have survived another day and
as the day gradually moves on I always
feel so painfully the coming abyss of night,
The Shit Abyss.
No amount of hundred watt light bulbs can
cure me of the feeling as the darkness
always pervades,
electricity goes off, fires are doused and
we are left with whatever spirits feel the need
to be close to us, including those ones
we never want to see or feel again.
When feeling around for the light switch
I worry about what I will see when the
light comes on but I worry even more about
whether the light will come on at all.
The Fear exists, inside and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment