Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 17, 2012

THE STONE RAGE


THE STONE RAGE  PM9674


I read One Hundred Years of Solitude 
for the first time when I was in high school.
I reacted at first to the dirt-eating with mild 
shock and distaste,
until I remembered that I had done the
same thing, in the garden, in Pinawa,
it started by picking carrots and eating them
without washing them first.
It was repugnant yet the dirt had a cleansing
effect, I wasn't aware of it at the time but
my body new it. I wouldn't eat the worms, that
would be disgusting but I would pick them out
and then toss them aside, not knowing it would have
been like a dirt sausage, a treat perhaps to the
untrained, destroyed palate of a child.

Pebbles and stones were great because they came
with so much pain,
so much sweet pain,
another feeling to think about over-riding the
foulness I so desperately needed to rid myself of,
later on came the sharp knives, slicing through the 
gums and helping to eradicate the disease,
festering twenty odd years it had become even more
cruel and brutal, more than you can imagine.
I spit into the sink, mix some water making the 
coriolis effect spin the water into the drain and
out into the sewers where it belonged.
But I never got it all out and what remained
festered and festered until the pain became too
unbearable even for me and so much rinsing
with anything but mouthwash could not remove
the film that remained and still remains
fixated to the insides of my cheeks, upper
and lower and the cancer which is my tongue.
A long slit in my tongue speaks of an old hockey injury
before mouthguards were mandatory,
an errant stick to be sure, helped later on by
razor blades and steak knives, a secret pocket
which will never feel entirely clean. I prayed the monster would be killed,
it would fall down and be run over by a bus and I would get my
salvation, a dance on the grave, jig in the moonlight
but age tempered all and while I couldn't shed
a tear, neither could I celebrate what I had been
desperately waiting for all my life.
I am not strong and now I have to fear everything,
she has come back to haunt me in the form of a witch
hiding in the backyard and flying away on a broom
when the sun comes up. My only protection is
a pane of glass and I breach it often, just to
try and get that taste out of my fucking mouth
along with those memories in my brain
that I cannot seem to erase,
I must be hitting the wrong button.

Three long months off the valium and
the rage has begun to return, I ignored it
at first, but it has once again taken over
I feel it inside me all the time but
I don't feel it escaping until it has made good
on the disappearance.
It wells up inside me so strongly now,
as I sit in the dark watching for the
sun to come close and the dawn to break,
when the witch flies away.
The valium gave it substance and weight
and kept it down where it belonged,
it no longer anchors in my soul, it flies
put at all hours, whether I want it to or
not,my anchor has been broken and it
lies heavy in the pit of my stomach.
I feel wretched or like retching, I can't be
sure and I can't feel safe, even about
talking, what comes from my vocal chords
is out of my control and I suffer at the 
hands of maniacs that have taken root
in my brain.
How many calls to 911 do you get in a lifetime
and how many are answered by the proper authorities.
I don't question the fact that there is a knock at the
door but I have to query as to who is on the other side.

What sane person flings the doors open wide
and allows the wind to blow in all the
evil culminated in the breeze.
Evil can easily slide through the holes
in a screen door,
there is no injury done to evil,
screens were invented to keep the flies
out, maybe even the errant bird,
but a squirrel or raccoon could chew through
it easily enough.
Close all the doors and seal them tight
with masking tape, even the smallest crack
could mean the difference between life and
death, the microbes, mitochondria, amoebas
and legless snakes turn you to foolishness
when the only one you are fooling is yourself.
Once I am sealed off the rage can escape and
have nowhere to go, stealthily it will try and
squeeze out the sides of the window but if you prepare
properly it will be unsuccessful, corner it and
the battle will begin, slowly at first,
but if you can corner it in the basement with
a baseball bat you can administer the 'coup de grace'
and finish it off with a smile
and a large bonfire. Feed the flames, feed
the flames until they rise so high they engulf
the ceiling and only then
will you have conquered fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment