Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Iron Rooster to Montreal


PM MXXI

Iron Rooster to Montreal

Sitting on the platform, hungover like a bastard
contemplating whether to throw up before getting
on the train,
a private spot beside the tracks,
an homage to Saint John that will
only last until the next rainfall
which could be any minute now,
fucking maritime weather,
rain being the constant
and the norm.
The bells ring loudly
amplified by sixty ounces of scotch
shared with Joe the night before
a stupid move, knowing the long journey
into French territory
long ago Anglicized making it difficult to
differentiate between a crepe St. Jacques,
or an order of fish and chips
wrapped in yesterday's newspaper,
the grease seeping through the newsprint,
hinting at a heart attack twenty years in the
future.

The train has pulled up yet the energy to
get up did not arrive with it,
an empty bottle of Alpine slides to the
concrete as I rise,
another homage to my alcoholism
as the glass shatters into a thousand
pieces,
blanketing the ground below the bench,
with shards of beer-soaked glass
much like my stomach feels like at that
moment.
The train has come from Moncton,
before that Halifax,
on the Edmunston, Quebec City and
Montreal,
a night there and the fast one to
Toronto the next morning.
I leave the Atlantic behind, some of my
soul lies in the Bay of Fundy,
the rest in the Saint John River,
meandering its' way through
Grand Bay,
carrying my secrets out to sea,
secrets wrapped in seaweed.

I put one foot on the train and hesitate,
feeling like I should be remembering this moment
forever, looking back at Princess Street and the
new Market Square,
I bid farewell, not a tear to be shed,
but happy inside I did not leave much
behind in the gutter for the rain to wash
away.
I find a seat and wait for the final
whistle, the train begins to move,
behind schedule and
little chance of making up that lost time,
I consider sleep,
or reading, being terrorized by Edgar Allen Poe and
poor Arthur Gordon Pym of
Nantucket,
I will always miss the sea, foghorns, and
reading the names on the ships
as they head out of the harbour
under the bridge and out of
sight,
I shun Poe for the moment,
and stagger towards the bar car,
I got my train legs already.

MCC

No comments:

Post a Comment