Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Brain Zaps!


PM MMXXIII

Brain Zaps

I awoke from a fitful sleep,
hardly a sleep,
more like a twenty minute nap
punctuated by nightmares
and sweats.
The sun had begun to rise,
Hemingway was right,
and as I rose
I felt the electricity
pass through a synapse in my brain,
threatening to send me back
to dreams,
where the wild things are,
changing my room back into a primeval
jungle, even though nobody
can hold back my dinner if I am bad.
I find myself enjoying the shocks,
self-imposed electric shock therapy,
involuntary and uncontrollable.
Who is holding the paddle,
controlling the watts,
who decides what needs to be erased
ad what needs to be remembered,
I have no dialogue with this entity,
yet I know them so well
and I am afraid of them.
They know too much
and they use it against me when I am
at my nadir,
wondering why I reached this point
I ask the wall and I ask my cat
but I can't bring myself to ask a human,
because I fear the answer so much
and hearing what I already know proves
to be unbearable.

I spend hours trying to understand
Robert Fripp's Exposure,
but become ensconced in the primal screaming,
the words hurt
yet the sounds are soothing.
Its difficult to breathe
and even harder to see
yet I continue down the path
passing so many underwear salesmen
on the way,
I think of Underdog
and why he continued under the most
dire of circumstances and with
such little respect and understanding.
Another zap to my brain and I am somewhere
else, swimming with no fear of drowning
but with the utmost respect for all
the sharks and moray eels in the world.
I picture Oskar, playing his drum
and I want one,
I want to drown the outside out
and if the noise gets too much I will
play louder.
Little Oskar knew, he knew how
to stem the blight and control
the voices in his head and soul,
but the drum remained the hero,
not him.

MCC

No comments:

Post a Comment