Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 9, 2013

ROADSIDE EMPANADAS


ROADSIDE EMPANADAS
PM0906133



The young girl at the side of the road looked no
more than nine or ten years old, maybe she was
twelve and suffered from malnutrition,
I couldn't be sure.
The basket she carried on her hip was huge
it looked bigger and weighed far more than she
did, all sorts of small packages, balls wrapped 
in napkins, steam coming off them in the early
morning cold.

As she climbed onto the bus, nimble as an elf,
the aroma hit me full in the face,
beef and onions, olives, all fresh and just off
the fire I would wager.

She smiled a mouth only half full of teeth,
whether it was her age or poor oral health,
I couldn't be sure, maybe a mixture of both.
I bought four for ten pesos, two dollars, more or less,
I offered one back to her but she refused,
she continued on towards the back of the bus
returning five minutes later with an empty basket,
I marveled at her salesmanship, yet a bus full
of hungry passengers was an easy sell.

They were delicious yet I couldn't help but picture
the bug-infested kitchen they were prepared in
and the less than sanitary hands that crimped the
dough and then so gently placed them in the
boiling oil. The dirty hands that wrapped them
in the napkins and gently filled the basket, trying
not to break any of them and have all their
goodness spill out.

How far did she have to walk to reach the road
and then how long did she have to wait for the
bus to come?

And when she got home, did she clean herself
up and begin the long walk to school,
or did she just fill up with more pastries and
get ready to go and wait for the next bus?

How does one analyze the different worlds
people live in without feeling a stab of pain
and wonder how some people live so poorly, 
and we complain when we are living so well.

I ate those four empanadas so quickly, as if they
were nothing, I didn't resent that I had paid the 
foreigner's rate, I just enjoyed them until the
bitterness arose in me so vile as to how many
might have suffered for me to have something to eat in
the morning after a long bus ride.

Her face was so dirty and sad and I will never
see her again as long as I live,
and she could be out there right now, waiting for
the next bus, an empty desk in a schoolhouse.


MCC

No comments:

Post a Comment