Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 1, 2009

Lessons of Youth


















 



I lived in Eilat Israel for about a year in the early 80's. I divided my time between the beach under the stars in a sleeping bag, an apartment I had to share with five chefs from Hong Kong and a memorable but short stay at Kibbutz Yotvata. My jobs included dishwasher in a Chinese restaurant attached to the Caeser Hotel, a roofer's assistant and a cow milker/ pail lugger. I attended Hebrew school and I got to know a lot of people from around the world. All told, the climate was wonderful, the food was great, scenery abundant and there was never a lack of things to do.

There was a bar there called the Peace Cafe which was a hangout for transients like myself, it was a dive but you could get a nesher beer for about 25 cents and double egg and chips for less than a buck. There was always somebody there to tell you some kind of story whether dealing with the dangers of trying to pick up female Israeli soldiers, who came armed with their own uzis, or coral diving in the reefs of the Red sea. Any story would invariably cost you a beer or two but they were usually worth it. The restaurant at the time was run by an English couple, they were very friendly and had lots of patience with us bums and were far more generous than any anti-semite could ever lead you to believe. I have fond memories of the mountains and the sea that have left a lasting impact on my current file of fine memories that keep me going during the winter!

One night a bunch of us procured some beer and tried to sneak into Jordan. We got as far as the third checkpoint when someone fired a shot into the air. When we finally got home and changed our underwear bravado took over and we somehow turned it into an adventure of a lifetime. I know now that we were just a bunch of scared kids, fooling around in a country where bad things happen and consequences of stupid actions can become much more dire. I don't know if it taught me a lesson in life but as I look back now I see the blindness of youth and the mirage of invincibility that comes with it.
 

The beach in Eilat Israel, the mountains in the background tower over the Jordanian City of Aqaba

No comments:

Post a Comment