Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 29, 2009

Laurels to Michaelle Jean

























I have never been a great fan of Michaelle Jean. Once she became Governor General the whole country was very entertained with the facts that she was an immigrant from a poor country, she was black and she was a woman. She rested on these facts for too long and I realized that it might be the whole story and we would have to put up with her and her extraordinary rise to success even with the hindrance of being a minority woman. I personally never expected anything more from her but I have to stand up and take notice of her now.


Her recent trip to Nunavut to expound the virtues of the idea of creating a University of the North sat well with me. If you build it, they will come. I was shocked and very excited when I saw her sit down to a meal of raw seal. She finally came out and made a raw point to me, she wasn't paying lip-service to the aboriginals, she believes in them and in their way of life. She posed for a picture which she knew would draw some criticism and perhaps endanger her career as a politician, (is she really a politician?), she opened up and swallowed something a lot of other women wouldn't and struck a blow for an ancient industry that is failing and a group of people that is sadly watching their way of life disappear.


I was an anti-hunt activist when I was a child, when all my bills were taken care of and not having to work for a living gave me a lot of spare time to be high-minded. When people's livelihood is added to the equation those large brown eyes still pierce the skin but do not make it to the soul.


Michaelle Jean, your support is greatly needed by these people, you have also dealt a huge blow whether you know it or not, to ingrained misogyny, racism and general "redneckishness". Although whether it matters to you is irrelevant, you have earned my respect and admiration, maybe you should make a phone call across the border and let Barack know that his being the first black president will not hold up in the annals of history if he doesn't move past that and do something important and not worry about getting something on his lips.
















  








































   

No comments:

Post a Comment